His Grace Mor Theophilos Kuriakose was born on 1 February 1966 as the son of Cheria Varkey and Saramma Varkey in the Kodikuthiyil family. He belongs to the St.George Thabore Church, Ooramana in the Kandanad diocese. H.G's schooling was at the Ooramana High School, after which he completed his B.A. in Political Science from the St.Peter’s College, Kolencherry. In 1980, he took B.Th from the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Seminary, Udayagiri. In 1989 he was ordained a Deacon by late lamented H.G. Mor Gregorios Geevarghese Metropolitan.
In 1993 he received the B.D from the United Theological College at Bangalore. From 1993 to ’95 he served as the lecturer at the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Theological Seminary. During this period he was the Organizing Secretary of the ‘Syrian Orthodox Christian Student Movement’. In 1995 he went to Germany where he mastered in German and Latin languages from the Ostkirchliches Institute. In 2001 he got the Masters Degree and Doctorate in Theology at the Catholic Faculty of the University of Regensburg. In 2002 he returned to Malankara as the Lecturer of the M.S.O.T Seminary. His priestly ordination was by H.B. Catholicos Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I on 12 November 2002.
On Monday 29 September 2003, H.B Catholicos Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I ordained him the Metropolitan at the Patriarchal Centre Chapel, Puthenkuriz. He was ordained as the Resident Metropolitan of M.S.O.T. Seminary, Udayagiri.
Since 1994 His Grace is a member in the Dialogue Committee between Roman Catholic Church and the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church. In 1996 he had attended the International Conference of the Bishops organized by the Fokolar Movement as a special invitee.
|Born on||01 Feb 1966|
|Family Name||Kodikuthiyil family, Ooramana (Kandanad)|
|Parish Church||St.George Thabore Church, Ooramana (Kandanad)|
|Education||B.A. in Political Science from St.Peter's College, Kolencherry|
|Theological Studies|| B.Th from M.S.O.T. Seminary, Udayagiri
B.D from the United Theological College at Bangalore
Masters Degree in German and Latin languages from the Ostkirchliches Institute, Germany
Doctorate in Theology at the Catholic Faculty of the University of Regensburg, Germany
|Deacon||1989 (ordained by H.G. Mor Gregorios Geevarghese)|
|Kassisso||12 November 2002 (ordained by H.B. Catholicos Mor Baselios Thomas I)|
|Ramban||27 September 2003 (ordained by H.G. Mor Gregorios Joseph)|
|Metropolitan||29 September 2003 (ordained by H.B. Catholicos Mor Baselios Thomas I)|
|Current Responsibilities|| 1. Resident Metropolitan and Professor of New Testament at MSOT
2. Metropolitan and Patriarchal Vicar of Malankara Churches in Europe (Except UK and Ireland)
3. Ecumenical office president of Malankara Jacobite Syrian church
4. President, MGJSM(Mor Gregorios Jacobite Students' Movement)
5. Chairman, Media Cell, Public relations wing of Jacobite Syrian Church
6. President, International Syrian Medical doctors Association - Indian Chapter
7. WCC- Faith and Order commission member
8. Catholic - Syrian Orthodox Joint commission co-chairman
9. Catholic - Oriental Orthodox Dialogue commission member
10. Central Committee member, World religions forum for dialogue and Co-Operation(Macedonia)
11. Chairman, St. Ephrem Seminary Public School
12. Chairman, St. Thomas L.P. School
13. President, Santhwana Charitable Trust
14. Visiting Professor in Universities in Germany and USA.
CONSECRATION OF MOR THEOPHILOS KURIAKOSE (29 September 2003)